Employment Opportunity with the
Linda and Krystina Housing Society
Crisis Intake & Support Workers – Safe House
In 2017, the Saulteau First Nations community was rocked to the core by a senseless act of violence which resulted in the death two of their beloved community members Linda and Krystina. In a response, the community rallied to create a solution for future individuals who are facing violence at the hands of a spouse or family member. The Chief and Council of SFN purchased the now “Linda and Krystina Safe House” with the goal of bringing awareness and support to the community.
“Safe House” is a supportive housing program that provides a continuum of support for mothers in need by keeping families together. It is staffed by a small cohesive team of individuals who work with families through an innovative supportive housing model designed to build on the strengths and supports of each family. We are currently looking for three members to join our team.
To provide women and children a safe place to heal, learn, and grow. So, they will come to know their value as life givers and the future of Nations. Nurture the Spirit, Heal the Heart, Replenish the Body and Train the Mind.
Duties and responsibilities
The Crisis Intake & Support workers are responsible for providing services intended to provide short-term protective accommodation, on an emergency crisis-intervention basis, to primarily high-risk women and children.
- Client Intake as per established guidelines, procedures, and policies
- Client Support as per established guidelines and assist client with resources available to ensure client safety and mental wellbeing with the support service providers in the area
- Update and maintain case files to ensure that data and statistics are up to date
- Ensures client confidentiality
- Ensures compliance with all safety procedures as required by SFN
- Must maintain the ability to work in a positive and professional manner with participants
- Must have the ability to deal with differences of opinion in a constructive and positive manner, whether with participants, other staff, or professional support
- Ensures cleanliness of house and property and reports maintenance issues/required repairs as they arise
- Ensures security cameras are in working order
- Other duties as assigned
- Answer all crisis calls in a calm manner; refer to other service providers as deemed necessary
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all service providers
- Keep log of all incoming calls and maintain case files
- Maintain client confidentiality as required by SFN
- Post-secondary in Child and Youth Care, Community Support, or equivalent with experience in providing support to women and children; or a minimum of 2 years relevant combination of education and experience
- Ability to follow and implement program policies and procedures
- Understanding around Trauma Informed Care and trauma informed communities
- Problem Solving/Reasoning/Creativity
- Report Writing & Documentation
- Crisis Management/Conflict resolution skills
- Ability to mentor and teach life skills
- Computer/Technical Literacy
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Well-developed planning and organizing abilities
- Ability to deal tactfully with sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality of records and discussions
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Clean Drug and Alcohol test
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License
Training will be provided for specific qualifications for this position relevant to the requirements of this position which may include but are not limited to the following:
- Crisis intervention training
- Working with victims of Trauma
- Suicide prevention training
- Selfcare training
Please note other requirements of this position include a vulnerable sector criminal record check and an oath of confidentiality.
- Shift Work
- 3 days on/4 days off (12 ½ hour days)
- Rotation of dayshift, then nightshift
Email your cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting will remain open until all 3 positions have been filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.